Many thanks to Deacon Alison Handcock for flagging this up! Two cheers for Southwark and their championing of Distinctive Deacon vocations as well as priesthood. Only two cheers because they are still wanting ‘a priest’ champion. Bold type is my addition.
Diocesan Champion for Ordained Vocations
The Diocese of Southwark encompasses urban South London, which includes almost every ethnicity, with parishes stretching into the more rural parts of East Surrey. It is one of the most multicultural and diverse dioceses in England.
One of the principles at the heart of the Bishop of Southwark’s vision for the Diocese is that of vocational renewal. The role of Diocesan Champion for Ordained Vocations is key in promoting the ministries of priest and distinctive deacon across this diverse Diocese, and to encourage vocational discernment to these ministries; to be the first port of call for those considering a vocation to priesthood or the distinctive diaconate; and to provide and support creative and imaginative resources for incumbents and deaneries that will enable them to identify and discern vocations to ordained ministry.
We are seeking a priest who:
- has a demonstrable interest in, and some experience of, encouraging and discerning vocation;
- is able to provide imaginative resourcing for adults across a spectrum of spiritual traditions and educational backgrounds;
- is a gifted communicator, with an ability to think strategically and creatively;
- has a sound theological and educational knowledge with a willingness to develop further;
- is experienced in working successfully with a wide range of church traditions and styles of ministry;
- is an effective team player, able to relate to and consult with people at all levels.
For informal enquiries please contact the Revd Canon Leanne Roberts, the Director of Vocations & DDO, on firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply, and for further information, please apply through the Church of England Pathways careers website https://pathways.churchofengland.org/search/category-southwark
Closing date: 2nd February 2020
There is an occupational requirement that the job holder be an ordained priest of the Church of England, or a church in communion with it.